Samantha Timmons is a tax strategist at Brown & Sterling. Samantha has substantial experience working on mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures, private equity and venture capital investments, restructurings, and distressed situations. She also has experience with regard to the tax aspects of a wide variety of capital markets transactions. Samantha has worked on transactions across a broad range of industries, including private equity, financial services, health care, media and entertainment, mining and natural resources, real estate, technology, professional services, apparel, and Internet and telecommunications.
Samantha has expertise advising public and private corporations, partnerships, REITs, S corporations, and LLCs. She has advised some of the world’s largest multinational corporations and private equity firms, as well as numerous closely-held and early-stage growth companies. Samantha has lived and worked in New York City, D.C., Atlanta, and Denver.
Prior to joining the Firm, Samantha worked for three of the Big Four M&A tax practices in New York City, D.C., and Atlanta and as tax director for First Data Corporation in Denver. Samantha is admitted in Washington State and practices out of her office in Denver, Colorado.
Areas of Practice
- Business Succession Planning
- Business Transactions
- Corporate Taxation
- Mergers & Acquisitions
- Represented software developer seller in its sale to Fortune 100 public technology company buyer.
- Represented energy company buyer in its purchase of stakes in an oil find in Alaska.
- Represented Fortune 250 financial services company in its initial public offering, down-stream merger, private placement, over $10 billion in debt refinancing, over fourteen buy-side acquisitions, and loss preservation strategies.
- Represented New York City-based private equity and real estate asset management firm in loss preservation strategies.
- Represented over twenty private equity firms in over 100 buy-side and sell-side transactions.
- Represented a software technology company in a C reorganization.
- Represented a sustainable apparel company in its spin-off from its parent company.
- Of Counsel, HunterMaclean, P.C., Denver CO
- Head of Tax – inDinero, Denver CO
- Senior Tax Manager, Transaction Advisory Services Group – Moss Adams, LLP, Denver CO
- Of Counsel – Lewis, Bess, Williams & Weese P.C., Denver CO
- Director – Federal Tax Planning / Policy / M&A – First Data Corporation, Greenwood Village CO
- Vice President – Global Tax Planning / Policy / M&A – Centerline Capital Group, New York NY
- Tax Manager, Mergers and Acquisitions – Deloitte Tax L.L.P., New York NY
- Executive Compensation Consultant – Pearl Meyer & Partners, New York NY
- Tax Manager – Mergers and Acquisitions (National Tax Office) – Grant Thornton L.L.P., Washington DC
- Senior Tax Associate – Mergers and Acquisitions – KPMG L.L.P., Washington DC
- Tax Associate – Mergers and Acquisitions – PricewaterhouseCoopers L.L.P., New York NY
Presentations & Publications
- Samantha Timmons and Bruce Rosen, Small Business Focus: Employees and Independent Contractors, JD Supra, (October 11, 2017)
- Andrew Cordonnier and Samantha Timmons, Anti-Churning Issues for Section 197 Intangibles, Mergers and Acquisitions, The Monthly Tax Journal, Volume 3, No. 9 (January2003)
Memberships & Activities
- Washington State Bar Association
Master of Laws in Taxation – Georgetown University Law Center
Juris Doctor – Syracuse University College of Law
Bachelor of Science – Syracuse University