“I think of myself as a problem solver. With almost 30 years of experience advising people in tax, business and estate matters, I’d like to think I’ve seen almost everything. I draw on that experience in counseling my clients and helping them develop creative solutions to even the most difficult problems…”
“…Finding a satisfactory solution is certainly rewarding, but for me, what’s most rewarding is knowing that I have helped to add a measure of peace and order to someone’s life.”
Larry has been recognized as one of the Seattle area’s “Five Star Professionals” in the Estate Planning Attorney category in 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2015 and 2017, as published in Seattle Magazine. Larry has also earned the coveted AV rating from Martindale-Hubbell, an attorney peer-rating organization.
Areas of Practice
- Business planning and transactions
- Estate planning and probate
- Real estate transactions
- Elder law
- Representation in all aspects of business formation, business acquisitions and mergers for corporations, partnerships and limited liability companies.
- Counseling individuals with taxable estates in all aspects of estate planning and business succession planning, with particular interest in charitable giving techniques. Formerly charitable giving counsel to Pacific Lutheran University.
- Representation in commercial and residential real estate transactions including leases, easements and other real property conveyances.
- Representation of businesses and individuals before the IRS and the Washington State Department of Revenue; Counseling individuals and businesses in income, estate and gift tax compliance and strategy. Preparation of federal income tax returns for businesses and business owners.
- Partner – Gordon, Thomas, Honeywell Malanca, Peterson & Daheim, Seattle, WA
- Partner – Ellis, Li & McKinstry, Seattle, WA
- Staff Accountant – Peat, Marwick, Mitchell & Co.(now KPMG), Seattle, WA
- Adjunct Professor – Seattle Pacific University, School of Business. Courses included: Legal Environment of Business and Federal Income Taxation of Individuals at both the undergraduate and graduate level.
Presentations and Publications
- Lecturer – Surgent-McCoy, LLC; Multiple continuing education programs sponsored by Washington Society of CPAs and Arizona Society of CPAs. Representative Presentations: ”A Complete Guide to the Administration of Trust and Estates” ; “Estate Planning Update Course” ; Mastering the Fundamentals of Estate Planning, Current Trends in Estate Planning – Sophisticated Applications”
- Lecturer -National Council of Resource Development – Legal and Tax Issues in Foundation Management
- Author/National Seminar Lecturer: How to Manage a Small Law Firm, Inc.: “Tax Planning and Strategy for Small Businesses” 2015-Present
Memberships and Activities
- Encompass – Director/ President (2016-2017)
- Mt. Si Senior Center – Director
- Snoqualmie Valley Chamber of Commerce – Former Member of the Board of Directors, Former President
- Seattle Pacific University – Former Trustee/Corporate Secretary
- Boy Scouts of America – Former National Committee Member
- I-90 Community Church – Elder, Preston, WA
Professional Admissions and Associations
- Member of: American Institute of Certified Public Accountants; American Association of Attorney-Certified Public Accountants; Washington Society of Certified Public Accountants; Washington State Bar Association – Tax Section, Business Law Section, Real Property & Probate Section.
- National Academy of Elderlaw Attorneys; Washington Academy of Elderlaw Attorneys – Member of the Board of Directors
- Admitted to: U.S. Tax Court; U.S. Court of Federal Claims; U.S. Federal District Court (Eastern and Western Districts of Washington); U.S. Court of Appeals for the 9th Circuit.
- J.D., University School of California – Davis; with post graduate studies in federal income taxation at University of the Pacific, McGeorge School of Law
- B.A. – Accounting, Seattle Pacific University, Seattle, WA
Larry and his wife, Sharon, live in the Snoqualmie Valley. They have five children, fourteen grandchildren, and a dog. They have completed their estate planning.