John has garnered extensive experience in tax and investments throughout his career. In his most recent role with a multinational insurance company, he oversaw the company’s tax compliance related to its investments and provided advice related to tax minimization strategies. Prior to this, John advised clients on a variety of tax issues related to business formation, tax strategy, and exit and estate planning with a focus on real estate.
Areas of Practice
- Taxation – Corporations, Individuals, and Estates
- Business and investment tax planning
Representative Experience – Tax
- Formation of business entities, including corporations, partnerships, and limited liability companies.
- Creation of estate plans for families with minor children, and even pet trusts.
- Preparation of federal income tax returns for businesses, individuals, and estates.
Prior Experience – Tax
- Tax Department, Fidelity & Guaranty Life Insurance Company
- Tax Department, Allstate Corporation
- Owner – Law Offices of Akolt and Akolt, LLC.
- Professional Admissions and Associations
- Licensed Attorney: State Bar of Colorado (Active) and Illinois (Retired)
Bachelor’s degree in Economics from Brown University
Doctor of Law from the University of Colorado
LLM in Taxation from the University of Denver.
John lives in Denver and in his spare time can be found playing soccer or relaxing in the mountains with his wife and three cats.